How To Tell If You Need a Chimney Restoration
If you own a fireplace, you can appreciate the joy it can bring to a family. It sometimes is the central meeting point for your family gatherings. You enjoy the smell of embers and the cool ambiance of the mood. With the joys that a fireplace brings, there is also the need to be aware of your structure. Some issues may arise at times that need your attention to continue that safe fire experience.
Chimney Restoration and Repair
Like all appliances, they don’t last forever. Unfortunately, that remains true with your fireplace as well. If you don’t keep good tabs on issues that may arise, it can be a costly chimney repair later. Keep an eye on the structure of your fireplace. Check it out with your professional chimney sweep as soon as they arise.
What to Look For
- Staining – Efflorescence which is the white staining on your bricks. This is a sign that there is moisture. The stone has a salt substance and as it gets moist and then dries you see the white staining or efflorescence.
- Cracks in the mortar – Caused by years of wicked winters and sweltering summers. Over time the mortar starts to break down and will need repair.
- Crown and cap damage – Be aware of your crown and cap of the chimney. This may be something your annual chimney sweep may point out. If it is damaged or loose, objects or small animals can crawl in.
- Buildup of Creosote – Creosote is a normal process when you have a fireplace. Annual chimney sweeps will clean this out. If you see creosote outside your fireplace you need to call a professional. Your liner may be damaged and not protect the chimney as it should.
- Excessive smoke in the home – If you see an unusual amount of smoke coming into your home there may be a blockage. This can be from a build-up of creosote or a blockage of some kind. Don’t let this go unattended.
It is very important to be aware of the structure of your fireplace. This will allow years of clean, safe fires. Be sure to contact a professional if you see any of the items listed above or if you suspect other issues with your fireplace.
Chimney Repair Experts
At National Chimney, we not only take the time to ensure your fireplace and chimney are cleaned and repaired, but we also go the extra mile to protect your home during the process. We’ll take every precaution necessary to contain fireplace debris. We’ll cover all surrounding areas, including the flooring and furnishings, and we’ll properly dispose of ash, soot, and all other waste we remove from your fireplace. When we’re finished, the only thing that will be left behind is a clean, safe, functioning, and beautiful fireplace. Call our experts at National Chimney Cleaners – 800-631-6177